OIC International Fact Sheet
What is The Options Industry Council?
The Options Industry Council (OIC) is an industry cooperative that educates individual investors, their financial advisors and institutional investors about the benefits and risks of exchange-traded equity options.
Our goal is to provide a financially sound and efficient marketplace where investors can hedge investment risk and find new opportunities to profit from market participation.
Our experienced options seminar instructors provide valuable insight on the challenges and successes encountered when trading options. In addition to live presentations, OIC offers educational content in a variety of formats including brochures, software, online classes, videos and podcasts. Appropriate compliance and legal staff ensure that all OIC-produced information includes a balance of the benefits and risks of options.
Participating Members of OIC
Mary Savoie - Ms. Savoie serves as Executive Director of OIC and First Vice President, Industry Services for OCC.
Why was OIC formed?
OIC was formed as a unified industry effort to educate investors about U.S. equity options. Volume in equity options has increased exponentially since OIC's inception in 1992. Over 4.1 billion equity options contracts traded on OCC-cleared exchanges in 2013.
Equity options are a flexible and beneficial tool that can allow investors to achieve a wide range of investment goals. However, without the proper education and information about this useful but complex product, investors may be at risk. OIC resources provide in-depth education and insight so that investors are well informed of the risks and rewards associated with options.
As the popularity of equity options continues, education of potential investors in the options marketplace is more important than ever.
In 1998, OIC established an international program to provide information on U.S. options markets and options education to markets in Europe and the Asia/Pacific region. Gary Delany, Director, represents OIC in Europe and in the Middle East.
Partnering with OIC
OIC's extensive knowledge base can help develop your U.S. equity options business. Educate your clients and potential customers about the benefits and risks of exchange-traded options by collaborating with OIC. Use our investor-tested material to help you. Here are a few ways that you can harness OIC's educational resources:
- Website Content Sharing: Visit www.OptionsEducation.org. You'll see that OIC provides a truly comprehensive range of material and tools for all levels of experience and competence. We offer a variety of web content sharing models from cross-linking to white labeling.
- Seminars: OIC speakers are available to conduct seminars for customers. Let OIC provide practical suggestions to make your seminar a success.
- OIC Collateral: Obtain multiple copies of our useful brochures for distribution to your customers and prospects. See the 'Collateral' section below for more information.
www.OptionsEducation.org is your gateway to the enormous range of information and services that OIC offers to options investors, free of charge. Here are a few examples (there are hundreds more) of what our site offers:
- Sign up for email alerts about new seminars, podcasts and press releases
- Compare and research strategies
- Use the Pricing Calculator or Position Simulator
- Test-drive the Virtual Trading System
- Retrieve an options chain, including prices (15-minutes delayed), volatility, Greeks, volume, open interest and historical charts
- Take a free, customized online course
- Confer with an options professional
- Review FAQs for commonly asked questions such as how to find a broker and how orders are routed on the exchanges
OIC offers a full range of options related collateral ideal for your next customer seminar. Please visit the OIC Bookstore or Brochures & Literature section for a full listing of available materials and costs.
In addition, OCC News delivers relevant operational news for clearing and settlement professionals. Go to www.theocc.com and search for 'OCC News'.
Public Contact Information
The Options Industry Council
+ 44 20 1892 531811
Media Contact Information
No statement in this publication is to be construed as a recommendation to purchase or sell a security or to provide investment advice. Prior to buying or selling a securities option, a person must receive a copy of the booklet Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options. Obtain copies from The Options Industry Council, OCC, your financial advisor or from a participant exchange.
The Options Industry Council
One North Wacker Drive, Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60606, U.S.A.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace
- No active seminars or events!