- MIAX News
OIC Announces Year to Date Volume Ahead 30 Percent Month-end volume increases 12 percent
Chicago—November 3, 2004
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that year-to-date equity options volume of 881,968,223 contracts is ahead by 30.19 percent vs. last year’s volume of 677,431,315 contracts during the same time period.
Other volume highlights include
- October equity options volume was 99,064,682 contracts (42,183,565 puts and 56,881,117 calls) vs. 88,444,046 contracts (34,560,407 puts and 53,883,639 calls) from October 2003. This represents a 12 percent increase and the second highest month on record for equity options month-end volume.
- October's average daily equity options volume rose 22.67 percent to 4,717,366 contracts vs. 3,845,393 contracts from the same time period last year.
- On Oct. 15, 6,229,233 equity options contracts traded, making it the fifth highest trading day on record and the highest equity options volume day in October.
- Equity open interest continued climbing in October, setting new records. October month-end equity open interest reached an all-time high with 144,667,042 contracts vs. October 2003 month-end equity open interest of 121,322,298 contracts. This represents a 19.24 percent increase. At its highest point on Oct. 15, equity open interest set a new single day high with 153,896,467 contracts.
"After announcing new records in the middle of the month, the remainder of October saw strong volume and open interest with additional records set at month-end," said Paul Stevens, President, OIC. "The unprecedented numbers seen in the options market this year indicates the strength and versatility of the options product."
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, Pacific Exchange, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace