- BOX News
- MIAX News
OIC Announces 15.98 Percent Increase in Third Quarter Volume Year to date equity volume ahead 32.92 percent
Chicago—October 6, 2004
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that third quarter volume equity options volume of 239,839,663 contracts rose 15.98 percent from 206,786,047 contracts traded in the third quarter 2003. This represents the highest third quarter on record.
Other September volume highlights include
- Year-to-date equity options volume through September was 782,903,541 contracts, a 32.92 percent increase over the 588,987,269 traded during the same time period in September 2003.
- September month-end equity options volume of 77,869,306 contracts (33,455,531 puts and 44,413,775 calls) rose 6.38 percent vs. September 2003 volume of 73,197,743 contracts (29,462,830 puts and 43,734,913 calls). This is the highest September volume on record.
- Equity options open interest reached new heights for both month-end and single-day contracts, surpassing records set in August 2004. September month-end equity options open interest reached 138,275,283 contracts vs. September 2003's 116,149,954 contracts. This represents a 19.04 percent increase. At its highest point on Sept. 17, equity options open interest was 146,804,127 contracts.
- Average daily equity options volume for September 2004 was 3,708,062 contracts, a 6.38 percent increase over the 3,485,607 contracts traded in September 2003.
- September's highest trading day for equity options volume occurred on Sept. 17 when 4,840,907 contracts traded.
"The third quarter volume supports the equity options volume march towards a record trading year," said Paul Stevens, President, OIC. "The continuous new heights in equity open interest indicate that investors are using options in diverse market conditions and on a growing basis. We look forward to a strong fourth quarter."
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, Pacific Exchange, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace