- BOX News
Options Education Sought in Record Numbers in 2005 Visits to The Options Industry Council’s Website Increased 18% Over 2004
Chicago—February 23, 2006
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that its website, 888options.com received more visits in 2005 than any previous year. 2005 website traffic was up 18 percent over 2004 to 13.3 million total page views, and increased an astounding 602 percent over the past five years. Investors’ quest to further their options knowledge undoubtedly contributed to a record year in 2005, where more than 1.5 billion contracts were traded on the U.S. options exchanges.
888options.com is a comprehensive educational website, offering many tools to help investors’ enhance and develop their options knowledge. The site has consistently attracted more visitors each year, reaching its peak in 2005. Highlights include:
- Orders of The Options Investigator, OIC’s free interactive options education software increased 18 percent over 2004. To date, over 165,000 CDs have been sent to investors.
- All online classes increased enrollment from previous years. The most popular online class was Options Basics with over 66,000 participants, up 14 percent from 2004.
- Total visits to the site jumped 24 percent from 2004 to over 1.4 million.
- Total email subscriptions were up 398 percent compared to 2004. This includes subscriptions to ten email alerts categories, including newsletters, events, market data, and quizzes. The most requested item was Options Central News, an online newsletter offering up-to-date information on the options industry, options strategy articles, Q&A, and seminar information.
- Visits to 888options.com were made from all over the world, including Canada, Singapore, Australia, India, U.K., Hong Kong, Germany, France, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, European Union, and Sweden. Excluding visits from the U.S., Canada and Singapore topped the list with 27,400 and 13,100 visitors, respectively.
- The site also has about 50 partners that utilize or link to OIC web content on their own websites. These partners include some of the top financial services firms.
- In addition, enrollment for OIC’s live seminars also increased with 11,919 registrations, up 6 percent from 2004.
The influx of visitors may have occurred in part to the newly re-designed 888options.com website, which launched in October 2005. The site features include an online position simulator, strategy screener, pricing calculators, new online classes, and online options quiz. Dedicated to providing cutting-edge educational programs to investors, OIC plans to continue website enhancements in 2006. New webinar and online classes, and a covered call calculator are just a few examples of new programs that will launch this year.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, Pacific Exchange, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace
- No active seminars or events!