- BOX News
Options Industry Enjoys Banner Year with More Than 1.5 Billion Contracts Traded in 2005 The Options Industry Council Reports December Volume Increase of 31% Over 2004
Chicago—January 4, 2006
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that this year's total volume set a new annual volume record, with a total of 1,504,311,540 contracts, surpassing last year’s previous record by an increase of 27.3%. Additionally, total equity options volume reached 1,369,048,282 contracts, exceeding the 1,083,649,226 total equity options volume contracts traded in 2004 by 26.3% percent.
December volume highlights include
- December month-end equity options volume of 125,960,973 contracts (46,959,893 puts and 79,001,080 calls) rose 30.9% percent from 96,250,379 contracts (35,137,812 puts and 61,112,567 calls) in 2004.
- At its highest point on December 15, equity options volume hit 9,039,509 contracts, which is the third highest day ever for equity options volume.
- December total volume was 137,901,872 contracts, a 31.2% increase over December 2004
- December average daily equity options volume was 5,998,142 contracts (2,236,185 puts and 3,761,956 calls) vs. 4,375,017 contracts (1,597,173 puts and 2,777,844 calls) in December 2004, a 37.1% percent increase.
- Month-end equity open interest for December 2005 was 181,692,388 contracts vs. December 2004 with 149,841,144 contracts, a 21.3% percent increase.
"2005 was a record-breaking year on a number of levels." said Mike Walinskas, Executive Director, OIC. "I believe we can attribute this to investors - both individual and institutional - advancing their understanding of the versatility and usefulness of options. We look forward to another year of educating investors and brokers through our free Web site, call center and live seminars in 2006.”
A Review of 2005 Records
In addition to hitting new annual equity and total options volume records, these records were set during 2005.
- Total options monthly trading volume records were broken five times in 2005: January, March, April, September, and October
- Equity options monthly trading volume records were broken five times in 2005: January, March, August, September, and October
- Highest single trading day in 2005 for total options - April 15 with 11,254,044 contracts
- Top 10 Volume Days - All occurred in 2005
- Average daily equity options volume - 5,432,731
- Average daily total options volume - 5,969,490
- Peak Day for Equity Options Open Interest - December 16 with 200,491,185 contracts
- Peak Day for Total Options Open Interest - December 16 with 219,268,976 contracts
More details on historical equity options trading data are available in the “Market Data” section of the OIC Web site at www.888options.com.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the U.S. options exchanges and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's free resources include: The Investor Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace