- BOX News
- MIAX News
The Options Industry Council Announces Record Month in May with Nearly 200 Million Contracts Traded Options Trading Increased 82% Over May 2005, Sets Multiple Records
Chicago—June 1, 2006
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that May 2006 set a new monthly volume record when 199,714,215 total options contracts changed hands. This represents an amazing 81.94 percent increase over May 2005 and a 12 percent increase over the previous monthly volume record set in January 2006.
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) reported that year-to-date total options volume stands at 836,905,177 contracts, an increase of 43.87 percent over the same period last year. Average daily volume year-to-date is 8,125,293 contracts, up 43.87 percent over the same period in 2005.
Equity options volume for the month was also record-setting, reaching 179,028,561 contracts, 79.9 percent higher than May 2005. This new record is 9 percent higher than the previous record set in January 2006. Year-to-date equity options volume currently stands at 765,218,007 contracts, up 44.3 percent over the same point last year.
A new record for month-end open interest was set with 200,007,337 contracts, surpassing the previous record set in November 2005 of 197,589,890 contracts.
Additional May volume statistics reported by OCC include:
- Average daily equity options volume 8,137,662 (up 71.7 percent over May 2005 figure of 4,738,201)
- Average daily total options volume 9,077,919 (up 73.7 percent over May 2005 figure of 5,226,990)
Four days joined the list of top 10 highest total options volume days:
- Second-highest trading day on May 19 with 14,204,478 contracts traded
- Third-highest trading day on May 17 with 13,193,923 contracts traded
- Sixth-highest trading day on May 11 with 11,669,494 contracts traded
- Tenth-highest trading day on May 18 with 10,924,449 contracts traded
Three days joined the list of top 10 highest equity options volume days:
- Second-highest trading day on May 19 with 12,180,881 contracts traded
- Fourth-highest trading day on May 17 with 11,342,513 contracts traded
- Sixth-highest trading day on May 11 with 10,576,045 contracts traded
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NYSE Arca, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace