- BOX News
- MIAX News
The Options Industry Council Announces August Trading Volume Climbs 31% Over August 2005
Chicago—September 1, 2006
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that the industry's high growth trend continued in August as trading volume rose 31.2 percent over the same period last year. A total of 160,450,902 options contracts changed hands during the month, compared to 122,255,529 contracts in August 2005.
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) reported that year-to-date total options volume stands at 1,322,719,161 contracts, an increase of 42.1 percent over the same period last year. Year-to-date average daily volume is 7,873,328, up 42.1 percent over the same period in 2005.
August equity options volume was also higher than August 2005, with 145,467,262 contracts, up 32.6 percent over August 2005 equity options volume of 109,730,331 contracts. Year-to-date equity options volume is at 1,201,541,180 contracts, an increase of 41.9 percent from the same period last year.
Additional August volume statistics reported by OCC include:
- Average daily equity options volume was 6,324,664 contracts (up 32.6 percent over August 2005 figure of 4,770,884 contracts)
- Average daily total volume average was 6,976,126 contracts (an increase of 31.2 percent over the August 2005 daily volume average of 5,315,458 contracts)
- A new open interest record was set on August 18 with 229,776,432 contracts, surpassing the previous record set on July 21 with 229,047,737 total contracts. Open interest, the total number of options contracts not yet exercised or allowed to expire, is seen as an indication of longer-term investing in these instruments.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NYSE Arca, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services Options Help Desk at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace