- MIAX News
The Options Industry Celebrates Another Record Year as Annual Volume Surges 35% over 2005 The Options Industry Council Reports December Volume Increases 24% over Last Year
Chicago—January 3, 2007
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that total volume for 2006 set a new annual volume record with 2,027,847,586 contracts traded, representing a 34.8 percent increase over last year’s record of 1,504,311,540 contracts. Total equity volume reached 1,844,181,918 contracts, surpassing the 1,369,048,282 total equity contracts traded in 2005, a 34.7 percent increase.
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) also reported these volume highlights for the month of December:
- December month-end equity options volume of 155,157,254 rose 23.2 percent from 125,960,973 contracts in 2005.
- At its highest point on December 15, total options volume hit 13,494,925 contracts, which is the third highest day for total options volume. On the same day, equity options volume reached 12,005,102 contracts, the fourth highest day for equity options volume.
- December total volume was 169,891,749 contracts, a 23.7 percent increase over December 2005.
- December average daily equity options volume was 7,757,863, compared to 5,998,152 in December 2005, a 29.3 percent increase.
- Month-end equity open interest for December 2006 was 218,804,688 contracts vs. December 2005 with 181,692,388, a 28.6 percent increase.
A Review of 2006 Records
In addition to hitting new annual equity and total options volume records, these records were set during 2006:
- Total options monthly trading volume record – May experienced the highest trading volume reached in a single month with 199,714,215 contracts.
- 1 billion contract mark – Reached on June 29, taking only 124 trading days to reach this milestone in 2006 compared to 179 trading days in 2005.
- Highest single trading day in 2006 for total options – January 20 with 14,888,644 contracts
- Top 10 Volume Days – All occurred in 2006
- Average daily equity options volume – 7,347,338 contracts
- Average daily total options volume – 8,079,074 contracts
- Peak Day for Equity Options Open Interest – December 15 with 239,605,192 contracts
- Peak Day for Total Options Open Interest – December 15 with 260,721,100 contracts
More details on historical options trading data are available in the “Market Data” section of the OIC Web site at www.888options.com.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NYSE Arca, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services Help Desk at 1-888-OPTIONS, educational Web sites at www.888options.com and www.OICoptions.com, live seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada , instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace