- BOX News
The Options Industry Council Announces September Options Trading Grew 28% over Same Period Last Year
Chicago—October 1, 2007
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that 203,411,204 total options contracts traded in September, a 28% percent increase over September 2006 volume. Average daily volume for the month was 10,705,853.
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) reported year-to-date volume at the end of September stood at 2,022,795,034 contracts, an increase of 36.5 percent over the same point last year. Year-to-date average daily volume stood at 10,817,085, an increase of 37.3% compared to the same period last year.
Equity options saw 182,813,863 contracts change hands, 26.7 percent higher than September 2006. Year-to-date equity options volume reached 1,822,393,047 contracts, up 35.4 percent over the same point last year. Daily equity options volume averaged 9,621,782 contracts per day in September, an increase of 33.4 percent over the same month last year.
- Total options trading volume for the year surpassed 2 billion contracts for just the second time in history on September 26.
- The fifth highest trading volume day was recorded on September 19 when 17,571,279 contracts changed hands.
- Equity options volume reached 15,249,275 contracts on September 19, marking the seventh highest equity volume day ever.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NYSE Arca, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, educational Web sites at www.888options.com and www.OICoptions.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional DVDs and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace
- No active seminars or events!