- BOX News
- MIAX News
OIC Announces Month-End Options Volume Up 48.65 Percent Year to date volume ahead 31.94 percent
Chicago—December 6, 2004
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that November month-end equity options of 105,430,624 contracts (39,642,837 puts and 65,787,787 calls) rose 48.65 percent from November 2003 equity options volume of 70,927,088 contracts (27,419,569 puts and 43,507,519 calls).
Year-to-date equity options volume of 987,398,847 contracts is ahead by 31.94 percent from last year's volume of 748,358,403 contracts.
November volume highlights include
- The highest trading day for equity options volume occurred on Nov. 17 when 6,575,597 contracts traded. This is the third highest equity options trading day on record. Two days later on Nov. 19, the fourth highest equity options trading day took place when 6,533,121 contracts traded.
- Equity options open interest reached a new one-day peak record on Nov. 19, with 165,209,612 contracts. Beginning on Nov. 9, equity options open interest reached 154,114,433 contracts, surpassing the previous record set on Oct. 15 with 154,114,433 contracts.
- November month-end equity options open interest of 148,600,740 contracts rose 23.11 percent vs. 120,699,827 contracts in November 2003. This is new record for month-end equity open interest, surpassing the previous record set in October with 144,667,042 contracts.
- Average daily equity options volume for November was 5,020,506 contracts vs. 3,733,005 contracts in November 2003, reflecting a 34.49 percent increase.
"November saw tremendous volume and open interest numbers, advancing the options market's march to new heights," said Paul Stevens, President, OIC. "With the relentless growth in equity open interest this year, we're encouraged that investors are using options as a versatile investment tool."
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, Pacific Exchange, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace