- BOX News
- MIAX News
OIC Announces December Options Volume Up 16% As Annual Volume Sets Eighth Consecutive Record
Chicago—January 3, 2011
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that 341,207,420 total options contracts were traded in December, which is a 15.67 percent increase over December 2009 volume of 294,983,521 contracts.
In addition, total options trading volume for 2010 came in at 3,899,068,670 contracts. This surpasses 2009’s record year by 7.93 percent when 3,612,637,118 total options contracts were exchanged. Equity options volume reached 3,610,436,931 contracts, 7.23 percent higher than the 3,366,967,321 contracts traded the previous year.
The volume traded in 2010 marks the eighth consecutive year a new annual trading volume record has been set, and the 17th occurrence in the last 18 years.
Six of the top ten highest volume record days were set in 2010, including the top three.
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) also reported these volume highlights for the month of December:
- December equity options volume was 320,465,567 contracts, a 17.05 percent increase from 273,792,997 contracts in the previous December.
- December average daily total options volume was 15,509,428 contracts compared to 13,408,342 contracts in December 2009, 15.67 percent higher.
- Month-end open interest for December 2010 was 299,651,052 contracts vs. December 2009 with 273,921,029 contracts, a 9.39 percent increase
A Review of 2010 Records
In addition to hitting new annual volume records, these records were set last year.
- Highest single trading day in 2010 for total options: May 6 with 30,818,984 contracts
- Highest single trading day ever for equity options: December 16 with 29,352,698 contracts
- Average daily total options volume: 15,472,494
- Average daily equity options volume: 14,327,131
- Options Premium: :.$1.2 trillion changed hands, which is about the same amount as 2009.
More details on historical options trading data are available at www.OptionsEducation.org.
OIC is an industry cooperative funded by BATS Options, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NASDAQ OMX PHLX, NASDAQ Options Market, NYSE Amex Options, NYSE Arca Options and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC was formed in 1992 to educate investors and their financial advisors about the benefits and risks of exchange-traded equity options. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services Help Desk at 1-888-OPTIONS, educational websites at www.OptionsEducation.org, www.OptionsEducation.org/advisor and www.OptionsEducation.org/institutional, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional DVDs and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace