- BOX News
OIC Announces Month-End Volume Increases 31.31 Percent Month-end equity open interest sets new records
Chicago—September 7, 2004
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that August month-end equity options volume of 76,820,917 contracts (33,280,849 puts and 43,540,068 calls) rose 31.31 percent vs. August 2003 volume of 58,503,904 contracts (24,035,797 puts and 34,468,107 calls). This is the highest August volume on record.
Other August volume highlights include
- Equity open interest saw new records for both month-end and single day high. August 2004 month-end equity options open interest reached 133,709,861 contracts, surpassing August 2003’s 110,809,222 contracts by 20.67 percent. At its highest point on Aug. 20, equity options open interest stood at 146,444,888 contracts.
- Year-to-date equity options volume through August was 705,034,235 contracts, a 36.69 percent increase over the 515,789,526 contracts traded during the same time period in 2003.
- Average daily equity options volume was 3,491,860 contracts, a 20.21 percent increase vs. August 2003’s 2,785,900 contracts.
- The highest trading day for equity options occurred on Aug. 20 with 5,086,206 contracts.
"August’s volume and equity open interest continued to show strength during this typically quiet summer month," said Paul Stevens, President, OIC. "As we enter the fall, the options market is on pace for another record-breaking year of equity options volume. OIC encourages investors to keep pursuing their options education by taking advantage of OIC’s offerings."
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the U.S. options exchanges and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC’s free resources include: The Investor Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace