- BOX News
The Options Industry Council Announces New Monthly Volume Record As Trading Jumps 44% Over October 2004
Chicago—November 2, 2005
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that a new monthly trading volume record has been set for the fifth time this year.
October options trading volume totaled 154,794,867 contracts, a 43.6% increase over the year-ago level of 107,785,508 contracts. October volume was 17.4% higher than the previous monthly record for total options trading, which was just set in September.
On Oct. 24, total options trading volume surpassed last year's annual record. Year-to-date options volume finished October at 1,217,688,655 contracts traded, a 26.6% increase over the same point in 2004.
Equity options volume for October also set a new monthly trading record when it reached 140,238,062 contracts, 41.6% higher than October last year and 16.7% higher than the previous monthly record set in September. Year-to-date equity options trading volume is up 25.5% over the same period a year ago.
Equity options volume in 2005 has surpassed 1 billion contracts for the second consecutive year - and the second time in history - ending the month at 1,106,889,990.
Five of the top 10 volume days were recorded during the month, and nine of the 10 were recorded this year.
New open interest records were set and broken on a number of occasions during the month, ultimately reaching 215,781,352 contracts on Oct. 21. Open interest is the total number of options contracts that have not yet been offset, exercised or allowed to expire.
Additional volume statistics reported by The Options Clearing Corporation include:
- Average daily equity options volume: 6,678,003 (up 41.6% from October 2004)
- Average daily total options volume: 7,371,184 (up 43.6% from October 2004)
- The five days added to the top 10 options volume days in October were, by rank:
- 3. Oct. 19 - 9,930,915 contracts
- 4. Oct. 21 - 9,858,799 contracts
- 5. Oct. 20 - 9,605,660 contracts
- 6. Oct. 6 - 8,908,844 contracts
- 7. Oct. 12 - 8,766,880 contracts
- The five days added to the top 10 equity options volume days were, by rank:
- 3. Oct. 19 - 8,724,121 contracts
- 4. Oct. 21 - 8,582,458 contracts
- 5. Oct. 20 - 8,455,655 contracts
- 7. Oct. 6 - 8,017,174 contracts
- 8. Oct. 12 - 7,980,718 contracts
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the U.S. options exchanges and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's free resources include: The Investor Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace