The Options Industry Council Celebrates Ten Year Anniversary More than 500,000 investor and brokers educated about options
Chicago—September 30, 2002
The Options Industry Council (OIC), the option industry's central resource for options education, announced today the celebration of its 10th anniversary. During OIC's first 10 years, it educated over 500,000 investors and brokers through its free live seminars, 1-888-OPTIONS call center, 888options.com Web site, educational videos, online classes and interactive software.
"It's been an exciting 10 years for OIC. OIC's achievements have extended beyond our expectations," said Paul Stevens, President of OIC. "Educating investors and brokers has been the key to the significant growth in options volume during this time. The continued commitment and spirit of cooperation from the options exchanges has also fostered this growth. We look forward to many more successful and enriching years."
OIC was officially launched on Sept. 30, 1992 when leaders from the U.S. options exchanges announced a three-year, $6 million advertising campaign to reintroduce equity options to the marketplace. They did not anticipate that OIC would become a long-term initiative but its immediate popularity paved the way. In the first three months of OIC's campaign, over 30,000 investors and brokers responded to OIC's advertisements, which featured a red hammer called, "The Options Tool" and referred investors to a toll free number to receive a free videotape and other educational materials. Over the next 10 years, options volume saw record growth and at the end of 2001, it had grown 540 percent. Even in today's volatile markets, OIC has witnessed a heightened interest in options education compared to previous years.
Some of OIC's highlights over the last 10 years include
- 1992 - OIC is formed by the U.S. options exchanges and The Options Clearing Corporation.
- 1993 - OIC offers nationwide seminars providing basic options education for investors.
- 1994 - OIC publishes the inaugural edition of its newsletter, Blueprint.
- 1996 - OIC launches www.optionscentral.com. It is the first site to be developed by a consortium of exchanges.
- 1997 - OIC opens a London office to further relations with international investors, educate financial institutions about the benefits of equity and index options and promote options through roadshows in Asia, Australia and Europe.
- 1999 - OIC introduces a LEAPS® (Long-term Equity AnticiPation Securities) curriculum with a new seminar and videotape.
- 2000 - An industry call center opens at 1-888-OPTIONS to respond to options questions from individual investors and brokers. OIC also launches www.888options.com.
- 2001 - OIC introduces its free Series 7 brokers seminars, "Options Strategies for your Clients." Online classes, "Contract Adjustments" and "Options Basics" are added to OIC's educational offerings.
- 2002 - OIC introduces The Options Investigator™, a comprehensive, interactive educational CD.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, Pacific Exchange, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. In 2002, OIC is celebrating its 10-year anniversary of providing investors and brokers options education. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, an educational Web site at www.888options.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional videos and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace