The Options Industry Council Announces Options Trading Volume Increases 41% Setting New Record In 2007
Chicago—January 2, 2008
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that new annual volume record was set in 2007 with a total of 2,862,826,218 contracts changing hands, surpassing 2006’s record by 41.18%. Equity options volume reached 2,592,102,961 contracts, exceeding the 1,844,181,918 total equity options volume contracts traded in 2006 by 40.56% percent.
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) also reported these volume highlights for the month of December:
- December equity options volume was 218,580,913 contracts, a 40.88% percent from 155,157,254 contracts in Dec. 2006.
- December total volume was 237,235,559 contracts, a 39.64% increase over December 2006.
- On December 21, options volume hit 21,683,093 contracts, the third highest day ever for options trading volume. Equity options recorded the second-highest trading volume day with 20,318,747 contracts changing hands.
- December average daily equity options volume was 10,929,046 contracts vs. 7,757,863 contracts in December 2006, a 40.88% percent increase.
- Month-end open interest for December 2007 was 281,630,825 contracts vs. December 2006 with 233,622,423 contracts, a 20.55% percent increase.
A Review of 2007 Records
In addition to hitting new annual volume records, these records were set during 2007.
- Total options monthly trading volume record: November experienced the highest trading volume reached in a single month with 310,801,122 contracts changing hands.
- Highest single trading day in 2007 for total options: August 16 with 23,745,650 contracts
- Top 10 Volume Days: All occurred in 2007
- Average daily equity options volume: 10,327,103
- Average daily total options volume: 11,405,682
- Peak Day for Equity Options Open Interest: December 21 with 313,856,001 contracts
- Peak Day for Total Options Open Interest: December 21 with 339,396,702 contracts
- Options Premium: $1,312,544,323,734; 2007 was the first year premium (the price paid to buy an option) surpassed $1 trillion.
More details on historical options trading data are available at www.optionseducation.org.
OIC is an industry cooperative funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NYSE Arca, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services Help Desk at 1-888-OPTIONS, educational Web sites at www.optionseducation.org and www.OICoptions.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada, instructional DVDs and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace